Should I speak to a specialist serious injury lawyer?
If you have suffered a serious injury we understand the devastating impact that it can have on your life and the lives of your family and loved ones. Serious injury claims are less common than other types of personal injury claims which means that you should seek help from an expert in the field of recovering damages for serious injuries.
When a very serious injury is suffered, there will often be irreversible and life-changing damage, such as paralysis, severe traumatic brain damage, amputations, severe burns or even death. Whatever the injury, it is essential that a specialist solicitor is instructed who understands the nature of the injury and the need for proper funding to support care, aids, housing and therapy regimes which must often last a lifetime.
Seriously injured clients often need long term treatment, and there can be a significant period of adjustment both for our clients and for their families. Many people who have suffered serious injuries require special housing or adaptations, care and support packages, specialist equipment, and early payments to alleviate financial hardship and to establish fully funded private care regimes.
Our Serious Injury Lawyers can act for clients who have suffered:
The types of accident that our serious injury lawyers deal with include:
Serious injuries can occur at any place, anytime from a variety of situations. Some of the most common scenarios that our solicitors support clients with include:
How Osbornes’ serious injury solicitors handle severe injury accident claims
Osbornes’ specialist serious injury solicitors will liaise with leading medical specialists, rehabilitation specialists, occupational therapists and even architects to work with us on your case and make sure all bases are covered concerning your future rehabilitation and needs. In these cases early rehabilitation funding is essential and a proactive approach to the litigation can secure a long term support package of care, accommodation and therapy.
How much compensation can I claim for a serious injury?
Every serious injury claim is different so the amount of damages that are award will depend on the injury, the circumstances of your accident and many other factors. The compensation that you receive is split into two parts
- General damages ( these are based on the severity of your injuries and how long it takes for you to recover from them)
- Special damages (this is compensation to cover financial losses and expenses that occurred as a result of your accident and the injury you suffered).
While no one can say exactly how much compensation you will receive at the outset, our extremely experienced lawyers will be able to talk you through all of the factors that influence the final settlement.
Why Choose Osbornes to represent you in your serious injury claim?
- Life-changing injuries involve complex personal injury claims and should be dealt with by an experienced solicitor. Partners Ben Posford and Stuart Kightley are all specialists in this area.
- The independent legal directory, Chambers and Partners, lists Ben Posford – Osbornes’ Head of Serious Injury – as a “Leading Individual”, and says he “couples meticulous legal skills with a hugely personable manner with clients and opponents”. The Legal 500 describes him as “tactically astute” and “one of the best personal injury solicitors around”, and states he “knows how to maximise the value of the claim for his clients”.
- The independent legal directory, Chambers and Partners, highlights Stuart Kightley as being “well regarded in the personal injury world for his handling of head injury and workplace accident cases“.
- Expert advice on state benefits and housing.
- Access to other specialist solicitors who can help with trusts, wills advice, power of attorney and court of protection advice.
Latest serious injury settlement
Our client was a 25-year-old Spanish resident who was travelling in his works’ van when the van was hit by a Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV). The HGV driver was travelling at high speed.
The accident resulted in two of our clients’ colleagues being killed. Our client was seated in the offside rearmost seat in the van and he sustained a brain injury and multiple life-changing orthopaedic injuries including spinal and pelvic fractures and multiple open fractures of the dominant wrist. He also sustained injuries to his eyes, hearing loss, and ongoing psychological symptoms. He requires multiple ongoing care and treatments and underwent cosmetic camouflage treatment for the facial scarring he sustained.
Due to the severity of his orthopaedic injuries, our client was unable to return to his work as an electrician and it was anticipated that he would struggle to remain in fixed long term employment.
The final settlement for £1 million compensation included our client’s ongoing care needs and loss of future earnings as our client will no longer be able to contribute to the family business which he had been due to inherit.