Serious Injury Solicitors in London
Accidents resulting in serious injuries are all too common. Accidents happen at work, at home and on our busy roads. Injuries also occur due to medical negligence. At Osbornes Law, we understand the devastating impact that serious injuries have on lives. Our team has over 40 years of experience helping our clients with the most complex cases, helping them to get their lives back on track and claim the compensation they need to build a better future.
What is a Serious Injury Claim?
A serious injury also referred to as catastrophic injury is one that has a profound, long-lasting and often life-changing impact on the life of the injured person and their families. Examples include paralysis, head and brain damage, amputations, severe burns and loss of sight. If an injury has been sustained due to the negligence or actions of someone else then it may be possible to make a personal injury claim.
Seriously injured clients often need long term treatment, and there can be a significant period of adjustment both for our clients and for their families. Many people who have suffered serious injuries require special housing or adaptations, care and support packages, specialist equipment, and early payments to alleviate financial hardship and to establish fully funded private care regimes. The complexity of the claim means that it is essential to seek help from a specialist serious injury lawyer.
Find more information about specific types of injury below:
How can our serious injury solicitors help?
Osbornes’ specialist solicitors will support you throughout the claims process to ensure that you get the right settlement to enable you to carry on with your life. We’ll make sure that interim payments are made during your recovery and while the claims process takes place so that you can access the specialist support and ongoing care necessary for your rehabilitation.
A proactive approach to the litigation can secure a long term support package of care, accommodation and therapy. We liaise with leading medical specialists, rehabilitation specialists, occupational therapists and even architects to make sure all bases are covered concerning your future needs.
How much compensation can I claim for a serious injury?
Every serious injury claim is different so the amount of damages that are awarded will depend on the injury, the circumstances of your accident and many other factors. The compensation that you receive is split into two parts
- General damages ( these are based on the severity of your injuries and how long it takes for you to recover from them)
- Special damages (this is compensation to cover financial losses and expenses that occurred as a result of your accident and the injury you suffered).
While no one can say exactly how much compensation you will receive at the outset, our extremely experienced lawyers will be able to talk you through all of the factors that influence the final settlement.
Why Choose Osbornes to represent you in your serious injury claim?
- Life-changing injuries involve complex personal injury claims and should be dealt with by an experienced solicitor. Partners Ben Posford and Stuart Kightley are all specialists in this area.
- The independent legal directory, Chambers and Partners, lists Ben Posford – Osbornes’ Head of Serious Injury – as a “Leading Individual”, and says he “couples meticulous legal skills with a hugely personable manner with clients and opponents”. The Legal 500 describes him as “tactically astute” and “one of the best personal injury solicitors around”, and states he “knows how to maximise the value of the claim for his clients”.
- The independent legal directory, Chambers and Partners, highlights Stuart Kightley as being “well regarded in the personal injury world for his handling of head injury and workplace accident cases“.
- Expert advice on state benefits and housing.
- Access to other specialist solicitors who can help with trusts, wills advice, power of attorney and court of protection advice.
Latest serious injury settlement
Our client was a 25-year-old Spanish resident who was travelling in his works’ van when the van was hit by a Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV). The HGV driver was travelling at high speed.
The accident resulted in two of our clients’ colleagues being killed. Our client was seated in the offside rearmost seat in the van and he sustained a brain injury and multiple life-changing orthopaedic injuries including spinal and pelvic fractures and multiple open fractures of the dominant wrist. He also sustained injuries to his eyes, hearing loss, and ongoing psychological symptoms. He requires multiple ongoing care and treatments and underwent cosmetic camouflage treatment for the facial scarring he sustained.
Due to the severity of his orthopaedic injuries, our client was unable to return to his work as an electrician and it was anticipated that he would struggle to remain in fixed long term employment.
The final settlement for £1 million compensation included our client’s ongoing care needs and loss of future earnings as our client will no longer be able to contribute to the family business which he had been due to inherit.