Child Maintenance Solicitors

A Guide to Child Maintenance

Our specialist child maintenance solicitors can help you through a difficult separation where you will need to consider how much the other parent should contribute to the care and upbringing of your child.


  • “Osbornes is a large team with expertise in private and public children. The strength and depth of the team means that every aspect of the complex cases sent to me is well prepared and properly considered.”

  • I consider the firm to be very experienced in child care cases and to provide a very professional and high standard of work”

If you are a parent going through a separation, then you will need to consider the arrangements for your child such as who they will live with and how much time they will spend with the other parent. You may decide to share the care or the child may live with one parent and spend time with the other. In that later scenario you will need to consider how much the other parent should contribute to their care and upbringing. On this page, we explain the rules about child maintenance and how solicitors can help you get the best possible outcome for your children.

What is child maintenance?

Child maintenance is a regular payment made by one parent to cover the child/ren’s everyday living costs.. This can includes things like food, clothes and housing. It can also cover expenses like childcare and extra-curricular activities.

Who is entitled to child maintenance?

Child maintenance is paid by the parent who does not have responsibility for the day-to-day care of the child (also referred to as the non-resident parent) to the parent who does. In situations where the child is looked after by someone other than their parents, the child maintenance can be paid to a grandparent, relative or guardian. Child maintenance is not payable if there is an equal, shared care arrangement between the parents.

How much child maintenance should be paid?

There is no set amount of child maintenance that must be paid. It depends on how much money the paying parent earns as well as how many children they have, whether they are paying maintenance for other children, and the amount of time the child spends with them.

The Child Maintenance Service (CMS) uses a statutory formula to calculate child maintenance payments based on the non-resident parent’s gross weekly income. There are allowances and set rates if the non-resident parent earns under £200 gross per week.

Where a parent earns over £200 per week gross, the calculation is as follows:

  • 12% of gross weekly income for one child
  • 16% of gross weekly income for two children
  • 19% of gross weekly income for three or more children

However, if the non-resident parent earns over £41,600 gross per year, then the first £800 in weekly gross income is calculated as above and the remainder is calculated as follows:

  • 9% of gross weekly income for one child
  • 12% of gross weekly income for two children
  • 15% of gross weekly income for three or more children

Then the two are added together. You can use the calculator on the government’s website to get an estimate of how much child maintenance should be paid under the standard formula.

However, it’s important to understand that the CMS formula is only the starting point. Parents are free to make their own arrangements which do not have to follow the formula. This is known as a family-based arrangement.

How long is child maintenance paid for?

Child maintenance is usually paid until the child reaches the age of 16, or up to 20 if they are still in full-time education. It may be paid for longer if the child has a disability.

Other factors can also impact if a child maintenance payment should stop or the amount should change. For example, it’s possible to adjust the payments if the receiving parent stops being the primary carer or if there is a change in the financial circumstances of the paying parent.

How do I make a family-based arrangement?

A family-based arrangement is a private agreement between the parents that sets out how much child maintenance will be paid and when it will be paid. As it is a private arrangement between the parents you don’t need to involve Solicitors or the CMS, however you can agree to record your intention in a Separation Agreement if you wish which can be drafted by a Solicitor.

The advantage of making a family-based arrangement is that it can be tailored to the specific needs of the family. For example, it can take into account the income of both parents and any other financial commitments they have. You can also agree to pay in excess of the child maintenance calculation.

It can also be flexible about when payments are made and to whom they are paid. While child maintenance is normally paid to the primary caregiver, you may decide to make the payments directly to an older child who is in full-time education, for example.

Is a family-based arrangement legally binding?

No, a family-based arrangement is a private arrangement that does not involve the courts or the CMS.

What if we cannot agree on the amount of child maintenance?

Mediation can help parents try to agree a fair level of child maintenance. This is where an impartial third party will try to assist you and the other parent in reaching an agreement. At Osbornes we have a number of specially trained mediators who can assist.

If mediation is unsuccessful, then you can ask the Child Maintenance Service to assist. CMS can work out an amount of child maintenance that is legally enforceable using the statutory formula. They can also support you by collecting the payments from the paying parent and passing them onto the parent with care, although there is a fee for this.

Can you apply to the court for child maintenance?

In most instances, it is not possible to apply to the court for child maintenance. Instead, child maintenance should be agreed through a private arrangement or through the Child Maintenance Service. However, if you are getting divorced and have reached an agreement regarding the amount of child maintenance you can record this in your Financial Consent Order. However, please be aware that the Court only has jurisdiction to enforce child maintenance for 12 months, after that date the CMS has jurisdiction and you will not be able to enforce the child maintenance through the Court. You will have to make an application to the CMS.

You can apply to the court for a ‘top-up order’ if the paying parent is a high earner (over £156,000 gross per year) or if the child has additional needs due to a disability, among other things. This means you will receive additional payments on top of the payments calculated by the CMS. However, the CMS will need to have made an assessment first.

A family lawyer can advise you on whether a court application is the best option for your family and can help you with the process of applying for one.

What if the paying parent doesn’t pay?

If the paying parent does not make the agreed payments, then you may contact the CMS. The CMS has various powers to administer child maintenance payments, including the power to ‘Collect and Pay’ where the CMS collects the monthly payments from the paying parent and passes them to the receiving parent. The CMS also has the power to collect a lump sum for any back payments that are owed (only when a CMS application has been made).

Can I appeal or challenge the CMS’ decision?

If you do not believe the calculation is correct you can appeal but first, you must ask for mandatory reconsideration which is where the CMS reconsider the calculation. If you still wish to challenge it, you can apply to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal within one month. You can apply out of time but you will need to give your reasons for doing so.

The family team at Osbornes are expert in child maintenance cases. We can advise you on the best course of action for your family and help you to reach a fair and legally binding agreement. To learn more, please get in touch and we will be happy to help with anything you need.

Find out more about our other children law services:

Speak to us about child maintenance

For a free initial conversation call 0207 485 8811

Email us Send us an email and we’ll get back to you

    • “Sarah, you have shown brilliant understanding of the requirements and have provided amazing counsel throughout. Your dedication to seeing this through right up to the last minute (before going on maternity leave) is a testament to your professionalism. I can’t thank you enough for your support and advice through some trying times”.

      Client review

    • “Osbornes has been very kind and your advice has been great”.

      Children Law, Client review

    • “Just wanted to say thank you so much for being the voice of reason and for everything you have done for me. It is such a difficult time and I felt completely supported in the process today because of your presence”

      Divorce, Client review

    • “The client was singing your praises today as the best solicitor she has come across!”

      Barrister testimonial

    • “The flowers were to say ‘thank you’ for going beyond the call of duty to contact the other side. Most impressed by your ‘can do’ attitude, despite your work load today” and subsequently “thank you very much for all your effort and I am delighted I chose to trust you. I cannot thank you enough for your support. Thank you”.

      Divorce client

    • “Thank you. I wouldn’t have made it this far without your help”.

      Client review

    • “Thank you for your availability, courtesy and helpfulness during our divorce. I don’t know how many thanks you get from counterparties. It wasn’t all straightforward, and divorce is never a joyful time, but your clarity and helpful attitude made it much easier than it might have been”.

      Opponent testimonial (Acting in person)

    Insights from our Family LawyersVIEW ALL

    1. 8.3.2022

      Unmarried fathers and parental responsibilities

      The 1st December 2021 marked the 18th anniversary of the amendment to the Adoption and Children Act 2002 which gave unmarried fathers...

      Read more
    2. family in poppy field

      6 cases that shape a private children dispute

      Family disputes involving children can be particularly emotive, which is why our expert children lawyers work tirelessly to understand how...

      Read more
    3. father and son

      Who Pays Child Maintenance?

      Child maintenance is regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs. The Child Maintenance Service (...

      Read more
    4. 25.11.2021

      Child arrangements for going abroad when separated

      I am separated from my spouse – can I take the children abroad on holiday? The answer to this question is...

      Read more
    5. 9.11.2021

      Keeping social media out of divorce proceedings

      We’ve recently seen the playing out on twitter and Instagram of the high-profile separation of actor Ioan Gruffudd and...

      Read more
    6. 28.9.2021

      Family Courts Backlogs Exacerbated by Pandemic

      Court backlogs: Divorcing couples face ruinous costs as last-minute court hearing cancellations become commonplace Divorcing couples are facing ruinous costs...

      Read more
    7. 21.7.2021

      Child arrangements affected by pandemic travel restrictions

      International families experiencing long separation periods from children As pandemic restrictions continue to limit overseas travel, increasing numbers of separated...

      Read more
    8. 20.4.2020

      COVID-19: Legal update on child arrangements

      Many parents are understandably worried about the spread of COVID-19 and the impact of new social distancing measures upon them...

      Read more
    9. christmas tree

      Child Arrangements at Christmas

      The Christmas period can be a hectic and stressful time for all parents, but for separated parents, it can be...

      Read more
    10. airplane wing

      Can I take the children abroad on holiday?

      The answer to this question is not straightforward.  There are a number of relevant domestic and European laws but particularly...

      Read more
    11. 19.6.2012

      Summer holidays – a hotbed for child contact disagreements

      The summer holidays can be a real source for disagreements and arguments.  When couples separate, it can be very difficult...

      Read more
    12. 19.6.2012

      Government announces new shared parenting consultation

      Naomi Angell, head of the adoption team at Osbornes solicitors, London and currently co-chair of the Family Law Committee of...

      Read more