Leading Intercountry Adoption Lawyers
We advice a range of clients who wish to adopt a child from another country. Clients include British families living in UK, ex-pat families who have adopted a child whilst living abroad now wish to return to the UK and foreign national living in the UK who wish to adopt a child whilst living here.
Naomi Angell Consultant
“Other strengths lie in private law children matters such as international adoption, surrogacy, fertility and other issues such as parental alienation and coercive control.”
“Well-regarded family practice assisting clients with substantial matrimonial disputes and sensitive children proceedings.”
Intercountry adoption is a complex and highly specialist area of law. The service that we offer includes:
- General advice to families considering international adoption, and bringing a child back to the UK. Our clients include British families living here, ex-patriot British nationals wishing to return to the UK with their adopted child in the future, and foreign nationals (EU or non EU nationals) living in this country and wishing to adopt internationally while they are here.
- Advice on the duties and actions of local authorities or other adoption agencies in relation to international adoptions, including the assessment process. Our clients include families with concerns about the adoption assessment process either in relation to an adoption agency or the Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF), prospective adopters seeking advice on appealing against a negative adoption agency assessment to the national review body, the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) and families needing advice on the complex procedures and regulations required for Hague Convention or other international adoptions.
- Representing adopters in adoption proceedings in the courts in this country, where the foreign adoption is not recognised by the UK and it is necessary to re-adopt here.
- Advising and representing prospective adopters wishing to take a child out of this country for adoption elsewhere, either where the child is in local authority care or as a result of a private family arrangement for adoption abroad.
- Advising relatives of a child abroad who may have been abandoned, orphaned or gifted for adoption in this country. These cases are particularly complex because of additional immigration issues.
- Advising and representing step-parents who have married a foreign national who has a child by a previous relationship where it is wished that the child should become a full member of the new family with British citizenship.
- Providing specialist legal opinions for lawyers, local authorities and adoption agencies either here or abroad on the law relating to international adoption in this country, including expert opinions for immigration lawyers for use in immigration Appeal Tribunals and otherwise in the immigration process.
Our adoption lawyers have developed useful relationships with specialist immigration solicitors and counsel and work closely with them in these children’s cases where immigration issues also need to be addressed. Naomi Angell also lectures to immigration lawyers on international family law issues.
Bridget and Amy-Jo were very supportive during what were very stressful proceedings. They were collaborative and I felt listened to and part of a team rather than just a client. We ended up being successful at the hearing."
"She's extremely knowledgeable and highly professional."
"She is the guru when it comes to international adoption and she's an expert in her field."
Naomi Angell has a vast wealth of knowledge and experience.
"Naomi Angell is a highly esteemed practitioner who is highlighted as "a leader in the field" and "extremely knowledgeable" by interviewees. She is particularly recognised for her experience in complex adoption disputes."
Bridget Thompson is a public law specialist noted for her extensive practice in matters involving alternative families and adoption. An interviewee observes: "She's a fighter, she's clever, and she understands all aspects of a case."
"Naomi Angell is a leading name in international adoption."
"Recognised for its expertise in both domestic and international adoption, as well as assisted conception."
"Naomi Angell is a leading figure in domestic and inter-country adoptions, and also has expert knowledge of related fertility and surrogacy issues."
"Naomi Angell is phenomenal. She's done it for so long and knows so much that she's a fount of knowledge. If Naomi doesn't know something, it isn't worth knowing."
Naomi Angell is the doyenne of inter-country adoption and the font of all knowledge in this area.
Highly respected for her [Naomi Angell] focused on cross-border children work, including surrogacy matters.
Naomi Angell advises on international adoptions and complex surrogacy matters. She is commended for her broad, in-depth experience."
Naomi Angell is an expert in adoption issues.
Naomi Angell leads the market in cross-border children law matters. Sources confirm that she is "at the cutting edge of changing law and policy" when it comes to international adoption
Naomi Angell is described as hugely experienced, calm and a good listener.
News & Insights from our Family Law SolicitorsVIEW ALL
Changes in Fertility Law Benefit Families
Following campaigning by those working in the fertility sector and public consultation in 2020, the Government announced on 6th September 2021 that...Read more
Osbornes Launch Parenthood Section With Tatler
The family department at Osbornes Law is delighted to announce a new initiative with Tatler. The firm has been working...Read more
Osbornes Shortlisted At Family Law Awards
The family department is delighted to have been shortlisted for ‘London Law Firm of the Year 2021’ at the Lexis Nexis...Read more
Divorce Lawyer Joanne Wescott Returns from...
Osbornes Law are delighted to welcome back divorce lawyer and partner, Joanne Wescott, who returns from maternity leave. Joanne specialises...Read more
Leading Divorce Lawyers Recommended in Tatler
The family department is delighted to announce that two of our partners now appear in the ‘Tatler Advisory’ list of...Read more
Child Maintenance: When is capital, income?
Reading a recent case from the Child Maintenance Tribunal, I considered it worth flagging up that the Child Maintenance Rules...Read more