Hit And Run Claims

Hit and Run Accident Claims Lawyer

Hit and run accidents are far too common and very distressing for the victim and their family, especially if serious injuries have been sustained. It is still possible to seek some justice and bring a claim for damages. Our specialist lawyers can advice you of the process and act in your behalf.

Contact us


  • “They punch well above their weight. The quality of service they provide equals that of any of the larger top-name firms in this area.”

  • “This is an excellent PI team, who are highly respected in the PI sector. Their team includes bright, hard-working solicitors dedicated to achieving successful outcomes for their clients”

Hit and run accident claims

Hit and run accidents, where the offending driver leaves the scene of an accident, are all too common. It is a criminal offence, as well as a callous act, not to exchange details with the other party or report the accident to the police. The accident victim may be left injured on the road without any call to the emergency services and with no help at hand.

What to do if you have been involved in a Hit and Run accident:

  1. Report the accident to the police immediately by phone and wait for the police to attend the scene. If that is not possible then report in person to your local police station as soon as you can and get a crime reference number.
  2. Write down a description of the offending vehicle and any detail at all of the drivers as well as the accident circumstances
  3. Speak to any eyewitnesses and make a note of their name and address

Starting your hit and run claim

On contacting us you will speak in confidence to a member of our car accident claims team who will ask you specific details about your injury including where and when it took place. It is helpful to the claims process if you can provide us with as much information as possible, including any relevant pictures of the injury, pictures of where the injury took place, details of any witnesses and reports of any medical treatment you had as a result of the injury.

We will then be able to advise you on whether or not you can make a compensation claim.

Tracing the driver

A driver may exit the scene because they are uninsured, have been drinking, or if the car is stolen. In these cases, they may escape punishment because the vehicle cannot be traced and they will also escape liability to the injured party because neither they nor any insurer can be traced.

We have access to databases that allow us to trace the registered keeper and insurer from a vehicle registration number, so it may be possible to bring a claim against the insurer in the usual way if the injured party or a witness has taken down that number.

But even without a registration number or a traced driver, a claim can still be made for the injuries and other losses sustained by the accident victim. The claim is to the Motor Insurers Bureau, a government-created organisation which is funded by all motor insurers.

There are special rules about MIB Untraced Driver cases, which make them more difficult than a normal personal injury claim.

Firstly there are important eligibility requirements, such as early reporting. The accident must have been reported to the police immediately, and if there is no evidence that a police report was made within 5 days (where property damage was claimed) or within 14 days (injury claims) the claim may be rejected.

Secondly, the usual rules on evidence and procedure do not apply, so court proceedings cannot be issued in these cases – we have to work within the MIB’s self-contained scheme, which means allowing them to obtain the evidence and instruct experts. The process is started with the completion and submission of an application form. The MIB will investigate liability and will accept a claim where they are satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that the accident was caused by the negligent driving of an untraced vehicle.

They will then assess the value of the claim, with the benefit of expert medical evidence and any evidence of losses we are able to provide (they will not usually pay the first £300 of any property damage claim).

And the MIB only make a limited contribution towards costs, meaning the injured person also has to pay something towards those costs. The funding arrangement depends on the type and value of the case, and this is something we will discuss with you before starting off your claim.

Despite its limitations, the MIB Untraced Driver Scheme does allow a compensation claim in cases where otherwise there would be no remedy, and our solicitors can help you bring the claim and maximise the settlement.

Hit and run claim client story

Osbornes Law acted for Mr Z, a young Polish man living in London who worked as an HGV driver for Parcelforce. He was cycling home one day in Holloway when he was knocked off his bicycle by a car. The witness evidence was patchy, but it did appear from the evidence obtained by the police that Mr Z was proceeding straight ahead along a main road at night but with his bike lights on and wearing a cycling helmet, when a vehicle turned across his path into a side turning from the other side of the road, causing a collision. The car drove off and none of the witnesses noted the registration number. We made various enquiries but were unable to trace the vehicle. The MIB were also unable to identify the driver or the vehicle and they duly accepted that Mr Z was eligible for a payment under the scheme.

The value of the claim was more complicated: Mr Z sustained a spinal injury, with a fractured vertebra in the neck. He recovered well without the need for surgery but did not return to work as a lorry driver. Instead, he found office-based work for the same employer, which paid less because he lost the opportunity to do overtime and lost his shift allowance.

We produced evidence of his earnings before and after the accident and we obtained evidence from a spinal surgeon to show that he would not be fit to return to lorry driving. We were therefore able to claim the difference between his pre-accident earnings and his lower level of future earnings. The case was settled after negotiations for £95,000.

Speak to a Personal Injury Lawyer Today

For a free initial conversation call 020 7485 8811

Email us Send us an email and we’ll get back to you

    Client StoriesVIEW ALL

    1. 13.2.2024

      Fatal Accident claim settled for Hungarian lorry driver...

      Siobhan McIvor, a Partner and Personal Injury lawyer, has successfully settled a compensation claim on behalf of the widow and...

      Read more
    2. man cycling past London underground station

      Cyclist Claims for Head Injury

      Client lands on the road and hits the crown of his head Our client was cycling on a straight road....

      Read more
    3. accident at work claim

      Accident at work claim settled for Romanian driver

      Siobhan McIvor, a Partner in the Personal Injury Department, has successfully settled an accident at work claim arising from an...

      Read more
    4. blood clot work accident

      Compensation After Accident at Work Leads to Blood...

      Serious injury lawyer, Blanca Diego Casas recently represented an individual who suffered serious medical complications after sustaining an injury at...

      Read more
    5. Cyclist on a street in London

      Cyclist Hit by Sports Car Claims £50k Compensation

      Cyclist Hit by Sports Car: How We Secured Compensation Andrew Middlehurst, a lawyer in the specialist cycling injuries team at...

      Read more
    6. Forklift truck accident claim settled

      Accident at work claim settled for Hungarian factory...

      Forklift trucks are a common cause of warehouse injury claims due to human error on the part of the forklift...

      Read more
    7. 26.10.2023

      Six-Figure Compensation for Victim of Reckless Scooter Driver

      Siobhan McIvor, accredited Personal Injury Solicitor and Partner at Osbornes Law, has settled a case at a Settlement Meeting with...

      Read more
    8. cyclist in camden, london

      Cycling Accident Claims: Client Stories

      Below are details of various cases handled by Osbornes specialist cycle accident claims team including the payouts clients have received...

      Read more
    9. Red pedestrian lights

      Six-figure Settlement for Pedestrian Injured at Traffic Lights

      Our client was a 68 year old homeless Polish National who was knocked over on a traffic light controlled crossing. He...

      Read more
    10. barbells in sport gym

      Injury from Gym Leads To Compensation Settlement

      Our client was standing by the squat rack at a gym. The squat rack had attachments on the side of...

      Read more
    11. man cycling past London underground station

      Cyclists Claim After Hit-and-Run

      Successful claim by cyclist injured after a hit-and-run In this hit-and-run claim, Our client had been playing volleyball in the...

      Read more
    12. Tractor at work on a field

      £250,000 settlement for client injured in forklift accident

      Sophie Davies, a specialist personal injury lawyer at Osbornes Law, recently represented a client who suffered life-changing injuries following a...

      Read more
    13. Accidente en almacén

      Accident at Work Compensation Examples

      £20,000 for burn injury claim Enviro-Strip (UK) Ltd have been ordered to pay £20,000 in accident-at-work compensation after a worker suffered an...

      Read more
    14. green traffic light

      Fatal Accident Case Studies

      Settlement for Pedestrian Killed Crossing the Road Laura Swaine, an Associate at Osbornes Law, acted on behalf of a family...

      Read more
    15. shiba inu dog walking in the dark outdoors

      Claimant receives settlement after vicious dog attack

      The Claimant had been walking her two dogs on the lead, late at night, near to her home. As they...

      Read more
    16. stadium

      Pedestrian receives £1.75 million following amputation

      Kate Milton, acted on behalf of a Romanian National who was hit by a speeding vehicle as she was walking...

      Read more
    17. Rush hour in London

      Motorcyclist receives £3 million in settlement

      Kate Milton, a Senior Associate at Osbornes Law settled a claim for a 27-year-old motorcyclist who was involved in a...

      Read more
    18. accidente de bicicleta

      Cyclist Hit by Range Rover Claims £30k Compensation

      Cyclist hit by 4×4 receives compensation Andrew Middlehurst, a lawyer in the specialist cycling injuries team at Osbornes Law, recently settled...

      Read more
    19. cars on portobello road

      Car accident client stories

      Below is a summary of the car accident claims that the personal injury specialists in the personal injury claims department...

      Read more
    20. bicycle wheel

      Cyclist Claims £70k for Wrist Injury

      Injured London Cyclist Claims Compensation Cycling accident lawyer, Laura Swaine, recently settled a claim for an injured cyclist who sustained...

      Read more
    21. E Bicycle

      Bike Accident Insurance Claim

      Settlement reached for cyclist after insurers deny liability Personal Injury specialist, Laura Swaine, recently settled a cycling injury claim following...

      Read more
    22. Ambulance

      Client left with brain injuries after car accident...

      Our Spanish client was the front-seat passenger in a car driven by her husband who was involved in a high-speed...

      Read more
    23. abogados de accidentes de bicicle

      Cyclist Hit By Taxi Claims £130k Compensation

      Taxi Accident Claim Settled for £130k Andrew Middlehurst, a specialist cycling injury lawyer, has settled a claim for a cyclist...

      Read more
    24. doctor brain mri

      Settlement secured for head injury caused by hammer...

      Osbornes Law has secured a £100,000 settlement for her client who suffered serious head injuries after being attacked in prison by...

      Read more


    Insights From our Personal Injury Lawyers VIEW ALL

    1. zebra crossing

      Pedestrian hit by car on zebra crossing settles...

      Blanca Diego, Solicitor in the Osbornes Personal Injury Department, recently settled a claim for a Spanish client who sustained injuries...

      Read more
    2. Motorcyclist

      Motorcyclists – Could your actions be invalidating your insurance?

      Insurance cover for you and your bike is vital in the event of an accident or theft but beware – insurance...

      Read more
    3. motorbike

      Preparing for winter riding

      Winter weather means tougher riding conditions for motorcyclists so it’s important to be prepared. Over the years I have...

      Read more
    4. motorbike

      Brachial plexus injuries claim

      In my career I have worked for the two biggest motorcycle insurance brokers in the UK and assisted their policyholders...

      Read more
    5. accidente de bicicleta

      RTA Claims Process

      RTA claims process reforms Where are we, exactly, with fixed fees now that the Road Traffic Accident (RTA) claims process...

      Read more
    6. pedestrians

      Pedestrian knocked down receives £535,000 compensation

      Osbornes acted for Mr M, a Polish graduate who was injured in a road accident when he was knocked down...

      Read more