Spending Passover With Your Child Abroad

1 May 2024 | Hannah Goldstein

Table of Contents

Who should the Children spend time with over Passover, and where?

With Passover coming to an end, you might be wishing that you had escaped the wintery weather for somewhere sunnier, or you might be thinking ahead to next year and planning to get a holiday booked in early. If you are divorced, or thinking of getting divorced, and have children, you might be wondering who the children will spend Passover with next year, and whether you can decide to take them abroad with or without your ex’s consent.

Can a parent take a child out of the country without the other parent’s permission?

If you want to take your child out of the jurisdiction, you must have consent from all those who hold Parental Responsibility, if you do not have a ‘Lives with Order’ from the Court. You must also seek consent from the other parent if you have been through the Court process and obtained a ‘Joint Lives with Order’.

A ‘Lives With Order’ allows you to take your child out of the country for up to 28 days without the other parents’ consent. However, insofar as possible you should inform the other parent in advance of taking the child away, with information about where you will be staying, dates of travel and provide emergency contact numbers and evidence of return flights to maintain a positive co-parenting relationship.

What do I do if the other parent refuses to consent to holidays abroad?

If your ex is refusing to give you consent to take the children abroad on holiday, you should first ensure that you have provided all the information about your proposed trip, including dates, flight details, the address where you will be staying etc. It is important that you attempt to resolve matters without the Court’s intervention in the first instance, given you will need provide the evidence of your attempts to seek consent should you need to make a Court application at a later stage.

If you cannot reach agreement, you should first consider mediation, unless one of the exemptions apply (such as domestic abuse, child protection concerns, urgency etc) all couples must attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting before making a Court application.

If your partner is refusing to engage in mediation, or you are not able to reach agreement, you might need to consider making an application to the Court for a ‘Specific Issue Order’.

How do we decide who the children will spend time with for Passover next year?

Often, parents decide to split the holidays either by alternating each year, or sharing the holiday itself. It is always best to try and agree matters with your ex. In section 1(5) of the Children Act 1989 there is the ‘’no-order principle’’; the Court must consider whether it would be better for the child to make an order than to make no order at all. Therefore, unlike when dealing with a financial settlement, you do not need a Court order to resolve matters regarding your children. Indeed, the Court now requires all parents to consider methods of Non-Court Dispute Resolution (NCDR).

How we can help?

If you are struggling to reach an agreement with your ex as to arrangements for the children, you should consider engaging in mediation before making an application to the Court. A mediator can assist with drawing up a parenting plan and helping you decide who the children spend the Jewish holidays with. If mediation has broken down, speak to one of our specialist family solicitors who can assist you with the next steps.

If you are thinking about separating, but are concerned about child-arrangements, our experienced family solicitors can guide you through the issues. Get in touch today to talk to one of our qualified family law solicitors about how we can help.

Share this article


Contact us today

For a free initial conversation call 020 7485 8811

Email us Send us an email and we’ll get back to you

    • The Osbornes mediation team is excellent and has some good individuals.

      Legal 500 2022

    • Osbornes fields a sizeable team with many standout lawyers.

      Legal 500

    Related InsightsVIEW ALL

    1. parent and child

      What is Early Neutral Evaluation?

      Early Neutral Evaluation (ENE) is a form of Non-Court Dispute Resolution where the separated couple invite a neutral third party...

      Read more
    2. green house

      How Does Divorce Affect Our Mortgage?

      Can you keep a joint mortgage after divorce? From a mortgage lender’s perspective your divorce does not affect your...

      Read more
    3. path into a forest

      What is Financial Disclosure in Divorce?

      A divorce ends your marriage but it doesn’t end your financial ties to your former spouse. During the divorce...

      Read more
    4. couple sitting apart

      What is a Clean Break Order?

      Is It Best to Have a Clean Break Order in Divorce? Couples often say they want a “clean break” after...

      Read more
    5. Divorce

      Court reduces Wife’s award by £20 million

      The biggest “Divorce Cut” in legal history Court of Appeal judges have just made history by reducing the divorce award...

      Read more
    6. child reading the bible

      What is Parallel Parenting?

      Parallel parenting  is a child arrangement where each parent has equal rights and responsibilities for their children, but they do...

      Read more
    7. man with child

      Co-Parenting with a Narcissist

      Can You Co-Parent With a Narcissist? Co-parenting involves two divorced or separated parents working together to raise their children. This...

      Read more
    8. 31.5.2024

      Can I move with my children?

      Am I allowed to relocate with the children within England and Wales? Relocating within England and Wales, even if this...

      Read more
    9. co-parenting

      What is Co-Parenting And Is It Right for...

      There is no single approach to parenting your children after a divorce or separation. How you and your ex decide...

      Read more
    10. Marriage rings

      Settlements In Short Marriages

      A Marriage is a Marriage — Even If It’s Short and Childless When deciding who gets what in a divorce,...

      Read more
    11. parents with their child

      Can a Mother Stop a Father from Seeing...

      My ex-partner is telling me that I cannot see our children. Is this allowed? There is a common misconception that...

      Read more
    12. money

      Impact Of Extended Family Wealth On Divorce

      Can the Wealth of Extended Family Affect Your Divorce Outcomes? While there is no fundamental legal difference between a high-net-worth...

      Read more
    13. osbornes hampstead

      NCDR Rules Guide Couples Away From Court

      What is Non-Court Dispute Resolution (NCDR)? NCDR is the current buzz word in the family law world, following recent rule...

      Read more
    14. kings cross station clock

      8 Considerations for French Nationals Divorcing in England & Wales

      Introduction If you are a French national with connections to England and considering a divorce, both the French courts and...

      Read more
    15. Hampstead Hill Gardens

      Financial Remedy Orders Explained

      It is common for disagreements to arise over the finances during a divorce, even if you are on good terms...

      Read more
    16. Final Order

      What is a Final Order?

      The introduction of no-fault divorces brought about a number of changes to the divorce process in England and Wales. One...

      Read more
    17. field of flowers

      What is Parental Alienation?

      Sometimes, a child may turn against one of their parents due to the other parent’s manipulation or influence. This...

      Read more
    18. divorced man with empty wallet

      My spouse is going bankrupt. Will it affect...

      Divorce and Bankruptcy In 2022, more than 1 in 10 businesses reported a moderate-to-severe risk of insolvency. More than one in five (22%) of...

      Read more
    19. spousal maintenance

      What is Spousal Maintenance?

      Spousal Maintenance Spousal maintenance is a legal obligation to provide financial support to a former spouse after the marriage or...

      Read more
    20. most common reasons why couples get divorced

      The 6 Most Common Reasons Why Couples Get Divorced

      What are the most common reasons for divorce? Following the UK’s transition to a no-fault divorce system, couples no...

      Read more
    21. signing contract

      What is a Conditional Order?

      The introduction of no-fault divorces in England and Wales removed the need to assign blame for the breakdown of a...

      Read more
    22. man signing paperwork

      What is a consent order?

      Most divorcing couples agree on how their finances will be divided without going to court. A consent order is what...

      Read more
    23. child maintenance

      Child Maintenance for High Earners

      How much should be paid? When separating or divorcing parents cannot agree the amount of child maintenance to be paid, (...

      Read more
    24. 25.7.2023

      Parental Conduct and Child Arrangements

      The Role of Family Dynamics in Child Arrangement Cases In proceedings involving children, the parents should consider the impact their...

      Read more