Stephanie is Head of Medical Negligence at Osbornes, with a particular focus on child and adult brain injury cases, fatal cases, obstetric and gynaecological cases, ophthalmology and complex spinal injury cases.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor in 1997 Stephanie was a registered general nurse. Stephanie has a Diploma in Forensic Medical Science and is the Legal Editor of and contributor to the publication ‘Medicine Science and the Law’. She is a member of and lecturer at the British Academy of Forensic Sciences. Stephanie regularly lectures on medical negligence to doctors in clinical practice as well as to post graduate medicine students at Barts Hospital. Stephanie also successfully deals with claims against local authorities for information disclosure. Her clients have included parents seeking to adopt, securing damage awards of over £100,000 and £30,000.
Stephanie is also a specialist child abuse lawyer. Stephanie is often interviewed by the BBC on TV and radio on issues relating to Child Abuse. Stephanie is currently acting on a number of high profile and high value child abuse cases and has recently achieved a six figure sum in a historical claim involving a voluntary organisation and a volunteer.
Stephanie Prior has recently settled clinical negligence claims relating to
- a failure to operate on a bleed in the brain in a timely fashion on a woman in her 70’s and the client received a seven figure damages award;
- a claim relating to the death of a 42 year old man following the failure of A & E to diagnose his myocardial infarction and admit him to hospital which led to his death several hours later. The case settled for a six figure sum;
- a claim relating to the death of a 29 year old woman due to an ambulance not being dispatched to her home which led to her death. Her partner and daughter received a six figure damages settlement;
- a claim relating to the failure to diagnose and treat a fracture hip in a woman in her 60’s for seven weeks which led to a five figure damages settlement;
Stephanie is currently investigating many fatal cases; brain injury cases, cardiac and ophthalmology cases as well as other cases against GPs, private doctors and the NHS, involving adults and children.
Stephanie is ranked as a leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners. The directory describes Stephanie :
Stephanie Prior maintains a broad clinical negligence practice, representing claimants in late diagnosis and surgical error cases, as well as claims for brain injuries sustained at birth. An impressed client says: “Her knowledge base is second to none and her understanding of the litigation process stands out, as does her ability to work collaboratively.”
“Stephanie Prior…manages a varied caseload, including obstetric claims, child and adult brain injury cases and fatal and non-fatal spinal cord injury cases.”
“Stephanie Prior… is meticulous, calm and pragmatic.”
“Stephanie Prior maintains a broad practice with notable focus on cases relating to gynaecological and obstetric negligence, along with adult brain injuries”.
“She fights hard for her clients and has lots of knowledge and experience”
“Having a wide-ranging caseload spanning various aspects of clinical negligence, including brain, spinal and fatal injury claims. Sources note her as “effective and tenacious at representing clients,” with commentators also highlighting her as “amazing at client care.”
“A lawyer who is ‘super committed’ and does very well with claimants, particularly in situations with vulnerable individuals.”
“Compassionate and fantastically hard-working lawyer”.
“Stephanie Prior puts everything into the work that she does. She is highly respected for handling claims made by victims of sexual abuse.”
Continuing to receive widespread praise from clients, who state that “she explains the legal aspects of the case very clearly, and she is also a caring person who handles cases on a personal level.” She has developed a particularly strong reputation for her handling of birth injury claims, as well as cases concerning surgical negligence and delays in surgery.
Legal 500 2019 edition
“Stephanie Prior has in-depth knowledge of medical practice.”
‘Stephanie Prior has a realistic attitude to the complexities of the cases. She wins the trust of her clients and goes the extra mile to ensure they get the best outcomes.’
The Legal 500 also describe Stephanie as being ‘very warm’ and ‘caring’, and an ‘exceptional professional’.
“The ‘highly experienced’ Stephanie Prior is “a very practical negotiator’ who ‘drives hard to achieve a good outcome’ and has a ‘strong’ experience in birth-related injuries.’ Legal 500 2017
Stephanie is the Legal Compliance Lead for Health Practice Associates (a non profit organisation owned by the public) and an examiner for DipFMS.
Stephanie holds a number of memberships including:
- The Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL)
- Accredited member of the AvMA Legal Panel – Stephanie has chaired and spoken at the AvMA Medicine for Lawyers conference
- Member of and Senior Litigator status at the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) to which she has lectured on brain injury resulting from medical negligence.
- The Law Society’s Clinical Negligence Panel.
- Founding fellow and also a member of the Academic Advisory Board of the newly established Academy of Forensic Medical Sciences(AFMS).
Page 20 – 22 in the AvMA April 2019 Newsletter
“Health Practice Associates – What Are They About?”
“I just want to say thank you for your support and advise you gave to my son, and my wonderful granddaughter.
It has been such an emotional time for my son…
…My son is an excellent Dad and he has been blessed with a a beautiful daughter. I know her mum would be so proud of her and my son….
…Once again special thank you to you, and all involved.”