Chevron pointing up icon

Do I have a claim?

Solicitors in London

If you suffered abuse at the hands of another individual you may have a claim for compensation.

As a general rule, you can only claim compensation if we can show that someone else was at fault and that this caused your injuries.

Virtually all personal injury compensation claims are settled out of Court. However, the person against whom you are claiming is still referred to as the Defendant and we will always need to consider what a Judge would decide if your case did go to Court.

The first task is to obtain funding to enable a claim to be investigated. We offer Conditional Fee Agreement (No Win No Fee Agreement) and we can offer delegated After the Event (ATE) insurance with deferred premium (payable at the end of the case) to protect you against any adverse costs.

We can advise you on contacting the police and who to contact at the relevant Child Protection Unit. We realise that this step, in itself can be daunting, especially if you have not spoken to anyone about the abuse before.  We can assist you through this process.

You may also have a Claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. A government funded scheme for victims of crime

Claims against individual perpetrators of Abuse

If your claim is against an individual perpetrator, we can ascertain further information about that individual which will enable us to know whether that person has the financial means to meet any claim against them.

Claims against Organisations such as Local Authorities, The Church, Schools and other organisations

We also investigates potential claims against local authorities for failing to remove you from your parents care, placing you with inappropriate foster parents or adoptive parents, or for employing a school teacher who abused you at school.   We also investigate claims against other organisations such as The Catholic Church, private organisations such as schools, employers etc.. We will have to obtain all relevant records such as social services files, police records, school records and any other material relevant to the potential claim.

How we can help

We can provide you with advice on all potential abuse claims including historical claims and we offer a free consultation to evaluate the circumstances of your case and to help you understand whether or not you have a compensation claim.

We can also provide you with information in respect of care and case support services, details of support groups, welfare advice services and other financial services.

To read more about this from Osbornes see our child abuse claims page

 What you should do next?

To speak with us on a confidential basis about your injury, please telephone Stephanie Prior on 020 7681 8671 or Sam Collard on 020 7482 8428.

Alternatively you can fill in our online enquiry form and we will call you back.

    Speak to a Lawyer.


    Latest Sexual & Physical Abuse News

    Introducing Your Sexual & Physical Abuse Legal Team

    Osbornes has an experienced team of specialist sexual-physical-abuse lawyers to assist with your case / situation

    arrow pointing up


    Livery House, 9 Pratt Street, London NW1 0AE
    Tel: 020 7485 8811 Fax: 020 7485 5660
    DX Number 57053 Camden Town


    28A Hampstead High Street, Hampstead, NW3 1QA
    Tel: 020 7485 8811 Fax: 020 7485 5660

    Your Privacy | Cookies Policy

    Contact a Lawyer

    Enter your details below to receive a call from Osbornes:


      Speak To A Lawyer

      Request Callback