Chevron pointing up icon

Internal Structural Alterations To Your Leasehold Property

Solicitors in London

News article published on: 30th January 2018

Over the past few years, stories about unfair leasehold practices have been cropping up with greater frequency. As reported by The Estates Gazette in September 2017, the Government recently performed a review of leasehold practice. A seemingly secondary finding of this consultation was that many leaseholders are not aware of the conditions of their lease, having purchased leasehold properties without a complete understanding of their obligations. So with this rather startling fact in mind, here is a brief overview of what you need to think about if you own, or are considering buying a leasehold property, and are considering a renovation of the building.

What is a Leasehold Property?

The owner of a leasehold property has purchased the right to use that property for the period covered by the term of the lease: this term can run to around 125 years. According to the government website, in England and Wales, the current property law requires that all flats are leasehold, with some exceptions such as those which are sold with a share of the freehold via a residents management company. It is also becoming more common to find new-build houses being sold as a leasehold property.

The Lease is Everything

If you own your property’s freehold, you are entitled to alter any aspect of the building you wish, as long as the plans comply with building regulations and planning permission.  However, if you own a property under a leasehold, you cannot do what you wish with the building without prior permission from the freeholder/landlord. Instead, you must abide by the terms of your lease, which is likely to stipulate the accepted use of the property,  including potential sub-letting and whether or not the internal structure may be altered.

Responsibilities for the Property – the Ins and Outs

The leasehold ownership usually relates to everything within the building but does not extend to external or structural walls. So, the landlord continues to own the structure of the building as well as any communal areas and the land on which it is erected. For this reason, the landlord is usually responsible for any external maintenance and repair, the costs of which are commonly recouped through service charges. But what should you do if you wish to change the lay-out of your home, or to make significant structural alterations that better suit your lifestyle?

Structural Alteration – the Legal Considerations

  • The lease should contain details regarding any potential alterations to your property. You may find that alterations are forbidden or may only be permitted if explicit consent is obtained from your landlord. Because your lease is a legal contract between you and the freeholder, once signed, it can be difficult to change the conditions contained within it. However, if your current lease entirely prohibits any new work, then you may have the option of purchasing an altered lease that will allow you to conduct alterations.
  • Under the terms of your lease, you may require consent for any structural alterations, from all parties living within your building. This may even be the case for the installation of seemingly trivial items such as a satellite dish.
  • In order to commence construction, you will require formal written consent in the shape of a Licence to Alter, also known as the License for Alterations. The Licence is a document from the landlord that authorises the work to take place and also ensures that all parties potentially affected by the alterations are protected.
  • You will have to cover any legal costs that arise from your landlord’s surveyor and legal fees, in addition to any subsidiary costs that may be incurred, such as the fees involved in gaining planning permission.
  • In planning any structural alteration, you must remember to take into consideration access rights. If the work will necessitate intrusion into space owned by another party, you could be in breach of your lease if you do not gain the proper permissions. Without this permission you may be required to halt work, or restore the property back to its original state. In some cases, a breach can even result in the landlord taking back the property.

When the Tables are Turned

On the other hand, you may be in the situation where it is your landlord who wishes to make internal structural alterations, for example converting the loft space above your accommodation into another flat. If this is the case, check your lease carefully. If the lease stipulates that you own the space, then you have the gift of agreement or refusal.  Use this gift wisely and preferably in conjunction with advice from a lawyer.

How to Proceed        

So, whether you are currently living in or considering the purchase of a leasehold property, you should consider where you stand legally regarding any structural alterations. To this end, it is important to examine the lease carefully. The help of a legal professional could prove invaluable in understanding any restrictions, obligations and rights contained with the lease. You can then rest easy knowing that you have a secure home and that you have made a solid investment in your future.

To speak with a lawyer in our property department contact us on 0207 485 8811, or fill in our online form.

arrow pointing down

"A massive thank you for all your efforts and more broadly, a fantastic service throughout the whole process - we moved in on Saturday and couldn't be more pleased with everything. I found all your advice to be priceless and a real breath of fresh air."

Conveyancing department client

Introducing Your Legal Team

Osbornes has an experienced team of specialist lawyers to assist with your case / situation

arrow pointing up


Livery House, 9 Pratt Street, London NW1 0AE
Tel: 020 7485 8811 Fax: 020 7485 5660
DX Number 57053 Camden Town


28A Hampstead High Street, Hampstead, NW3 1QA
Tel: 020 7485 8811 Fax: 020 7485 5660

Your Privacy | Cookies Policy

Contact a Lawyer

Enter your details below to receive a call from Osbornes:

    Request Callback