Motorcycle Accident Claims, Compensation & Lawyers

Cycle, cycling, bike, accident, bicycle, compensation, lawyer, claim

London accounts for 13% of road traffic accidents in the UK, about 30,000 road traffic casualties a year, costing a total of £1.4 billion.

Three quarters of drivers involved in road accidents in London are men; the majority of those are young men.

50% of London road accident hospital admissions are for fractures; head and facial injuries account for 25%

According to Transport for London’s (TfL) latest figures the incidence of death or serious injury to bikers is on the increase. In a collision a motorcyclist is 46 times more likely to be killed than a car user. TfL’s figures show that 20% of all crashes in Greater London involve injury to motorcyclists, twice the national average.

Cycling can be a risky business, especially in London. It is no coincidence that cyclists in London are more likely to wear a cycle helmet than elsewhere in the UK.

Is London cycling good for your health? Does wearing a cycling helmet make you safer? Osbornes Personal Injury Lawyers Partner Stuart Kightley cycles to work in Camden every day. Read his  article about London Cycling.

The London Cycling Campaign is a voluntary organisation that campaigns for and promotes safe cycling in London.

Types of motorbike accidents you can claim for.

Common types of motorcycle accidents include where you may have been injured as:

  • The rider of a motorcycle involved in a road accident caused by another driver where you were hit from behind.
  • The rider of a motorcycle accident where you were hit by another driver who pulled out of a side road or turned across your path.
  • A passenger on a motorcycle involved in an accident caused by either the driver of the motorcycle you were travelling on or by another driver,
  • A rider who was attempting to avoid another vehicle

Even in the case where the driver at fault is a family member or friend you can still claim compensation as all the legal actions will be directed at their respective insurance company and not them personally.

What you should do if you or someone you know has been involved in a motorbike accident

Whether or not the other party is insured and because the Motor Insurers’ Bureau(MIB) have very strict time limits, it is very important that the following steps are taken after any accident:

  • Take down the details of the other party at the scene, including name, address, telephone, insurance details and vehicle registration number.
  • Report the matter to the police immediately. If for any reason this is not possible, report the accident in person to a police station as soon as you can (and get a police reference number) .
  • Take details of any other party and any witnesses.
  • Contact your own insurers, if relevant .

What you should do next?

  Start your claim

On contacting us you will speak in confidence to a member of our personal injury team who will ask you specific details about your injury including where and when it took place. It is helpful to the claims process if you can provide us with as much information as possible, including any relevant pictures of the injury, pictures of where the injury took place, details of any witnesses and reports of any medical treatment you had as a result of the injury.

We will then be able to advise you on whether or not you can make a claim for compensation.

Written by Stuart Kightley

Speak To A Lawyer

Case studies and news

Contact Us

Livery House, 9 Pratt Street, London NW1 0AE
Tel: 020 7485 8811 Fax: 020 7485 5660
DX Number 57053 Camden Town
Email: See Teams for individual lawyers email addresses

Call: 020 7485 8811

Select Department