Whatever the reason for the separation, as members of Resolution all of our solicitors are committed to adopting a conciliatory and constructive approach to divorce where possible.
In order to obtain a divorce, you need to demonstrate to the court that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. To do this you need to rely on one of the following supporting ‘facts’:
- That your spouse has committed adultery
- That your spouse has acted in such a way that it is unreasonable for you to be expected to continue living with them
- That your spouse has deserted you for two years
- That you and your spouse have lived apart for two years and your spouse consents to the divorce
- That you and your spouse have lived apart for five years, whether or not your spouse consents to the divorce
If you are dissolving a civil partnership then the same “facts” apply except that you cannot rely on adultery.
Often both spouses can agree that the relationship is over. In this situation we can take care to draft the petition sensitively in order to avoid any unnecessary distress.
It is also possible to apply for judicial separation as an alternative to divorce. Judicial separation does not end the marriage but simply formalises the separation.
Our divorce lawyers can also advise you in relation to the issues surrounding all financial matters and children matters, which need to be resolved on a breakdown of the marriage.
If the divorce is uncontested, does not involve international issues and your spouse is easily available to serve, we can offer a fixed fee of £999 inclusive of Vat in respect of our work to obtain a divorce on your behalf. In addition to this fee you will be responsible for the Court fee which is currently £410. Any additional disbursements such as obtaining a translation of your marriage certificate are not included in the fixed fee.
If you would like to discuss a family law matter with a member of our specialist team or book an initial 1 hours appointment for £199.00 inclusive of vat, fill in our online enquiry form and we will call you back.