- General advice to families considering international adoption, and bringing a child back to the UK. Our clients include British families living here, ex-patriot British nationals wishing to return to the UK with their adopted child in the future, and foreign nationals (EU or non EU nationals) living in this country and wishing to adopt internationally while they are here.
- Advice on the duties and actions of local authorities or other adoption agencies in relation to international adoptions, including the assessment process. Our clients include families with concerns about the adoption assessment process either in relation to an adoption agency or the Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF), prospective adopters seeking advice on appealing against a negative adoption agency assessment to the national review body, the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) and families needing advice on the complex procedures and regulations required for Hague Convention or other international adoptions.
- Representing adopters in adoption proceedings in the courts in this country, where the foreign adoption is not recognised by the UK and it is necessary to re-adopt here.
- Advising and representing prospective adopters wishing to take a child out of this country for adoption elsewhere, either where the child is in local authority care or as a result of a private family arrangement for adoption abroad.
- Advising relatives of a child abroad who may have been abandoned, orphaned or gifted for adoption in this country. These cases are particularly complex because of additional immigration issues.
- Advising and representing step-parents who have married a foreign national who has a child by a previous relationship where it is wished that the child should become a full member of the new family with British citizenship.
- Providing specialist legal opinions for lawyers, local authorities and adoption agencies either here or abroad on the law relating to international adoption in this country, including expert opinions for immigration lawyers for use in immigration Appeal Tribunals and otherwise in the immigration process.
Naomi and Bridget have developed useful links with specialist immigration solicitors and counsel and work closely with them in these children’s cases where immigration issues also need to be addressed.
Written by Naomi Angell and Bridget Thompson